|> Home > Classrooms > Room 20|
Room 20 - Mrs Nicola Allen
Welcome back to the final term in our 2017 school year. I encourage the Year 8’s to make the most of all the opportunities that will come their way before heading off to high school in 2018. We head to camp ‘Finlay Park’ at the beginning of Week 3 and have a lot of other exciting learning experiences planned to finish off a great year in Room 20 at Te Rapa School.
I am looking forward to another busy term and this is what we have planned:
Focuses for Term 4
Mathematics - We will be focusing on Statistics at the start of the term with GLoSS testing also being carried out. This will be followed by a component of Algebra to finish the year off.
Writing - Students will be completing their Short Stories to enter into the Syndicate Short Story Competition. We will then move onto persuasive writing and finish the term with a small unit on Poetry.
Grammar - Continue to develop knowledge of spelling patterns, word origins, sentence structures and vocabulary development. We will also be focusing on proofreading & editing skills.
Reading - The reading comprehension strategy focus for this term is evaluation. We will finish the term off using a programme called Availl which uses popular films, based upon books to teach reading skills.
Inquiry - Our main focus for this term will be careers. We will be exploring the idea that identity gives a person direction in life and that identity changes as people mature, experience and learn.
Physical Education - We will be preparing for Athletics Day which is in Week 5. We will focus on techniques for shotput, sprints, discus, long jump and high jump. Project Energize will also be in school supporting this. Towards the end of the term we will be starting our summer swimming programme, focusing on survival skills.
ICT- A range of activities to develop skills using Google Docs, Slides, Sheets and Forms within our classroom programmes.
Art - fingerprint art, Maori myths and legends
Key Dates for Term 4
● Week 1 - Japanese Students Powhiri Monday 16/10
● Life Education caravan arrives
● Week 2 - Labour Day Monday 23/10
● Kapahaka festival (GATE Group Only) Thursday 26/10
● Japanese students farewell Friday 27/10
● Week 3 - Camp Findlay Park - 30/10 - 3/11
● Week 5 - Athletics Porritt Stadium Tuesday 14/11
● Book Fair in all Week
● Book Day Wednesday 15/11
● Book Parade Thursday 16/11
● Full school Assembly Friday 17/11
● Week 7 -Univeristy Trips Monday 27/11 and Tuesday 28/11
● Week 7 - WFPS Athletics Day Wednesday 29/11
● Kapahaka Performance evening 6.30pm Wednesday 29/11
● Week 8 - Careers Expo MPR Wednesday 6/12
● Disco Thursday 7/12
● Rainbows End for Student Councillors Friday 8/12
● Week 9 - Year 8 Leavers Dinner Tuesday 12/12
● Big Day in Wednesday 13/12
● Full School Assembly Thursday 14/12
● Week 10 - Prizegiving 18/12
● Last day of school 20/12 at 12pm
"Truth is Trust;
Seek the Right Path"
All rights reserved. All content Copyright Te Rapa Primary School. Created by J Gordon.