|> Home > Classrooms > Room 18|
Room 18 - Mr Hamish Marsh
Welcome Back - Term 2
Welcome back after what I hope was an enjoyable holiday. We have another very busy and exciting term planned as we head into the winter months. Outlined below are the major learning focuses for the term and key dates for Syndicate events:
Focuses for Term 2
Mathematics - We will be carrying on with Number for the first 3 weeks. We will then focus on Measurement & Geometry.
Writing - Short Stories - Using figurative language to create imagery, suspense and developing effective characters. We will also be looking at what makes up complex sentences to help us with our writing. The skill of effective handwriting continues to be a focus for the students.
Grammar - Develop knowledge of spelling patterns, word origins, sentence structures and new vocabulary.
Reading - Understanding how to ‘read inbetween the lines’ for the deeper meanings of texts and how to draw information from a text to answer questions.
Inquiry - Through the curriculum subject of Science, our topic will be on: “Change - Change can be temporary or permanent.” The context will be “The Living World”, where students will look into basics of life processes, ecology and classification of living things.
Physical Education - Weekly rotation of Winter Sports skills with Jump Jam as an alternative when the weather is unfavourable.
ICT- A range of activities to develop skills using Google Docs and an introduction into programing using Scratch.
Art - Landscape using the medium of pastels and paint. .
Key Dates for Term 2
● Week 1 - Sports Camp parent meeting - Wednesday 7pm / School wide Spelling Bee begins
● Week 2 - Young Leaders Day/ Mother’s Day Sunday 14th May
● Week 4 - ICAS Digital Technologies/ Spelling Bee ends
● Week 5 - ICAS Science/ Arbor Day/ Full School Assembly
● Week 6 - Queen’s Birthday Holiday/ Student Councillor’s Looking to Lead follow up session/ NO TECH ARTS/ PTA Mad Hair Day/ 20 & 40 Hour Famine Weekend
● Week 7 - Sports Camp Week/ ICAS Writing/ ICAS Spelling/ AG Field Days
● Week 8 - Whanau Hui 7pm in the staffroom
● Week 10 - Full School Assembly/ Mid Term Reports handed out/ End of Term 2
Term 2 Reminders
● In the next few weeks we will be asking our students if they are interested in taking part in a Production item. Our Production this year is called ‘Turn the Page’ and will be performed on the 20th and 21st of September at the Clarence Street Theatre. Being part of a Production Group is a commitment we expect our students to stick with once they have signed up.
These items will mostly include dance and movement with an element of acting as well. Please talk to your child about this and encourage them to join if they are interested and wanting to commit.
"Truth is Trust;
|Seek the Right Path"|
All rights reserved. All content Copyright Te Rapa Primary School. Created by J Gordon.